Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Orientation Day


My first task today during orientation in Washington, D.C. was to pick out my first name - Jeffrey - in the Cyrillic alphabet. More about the alphabet later when I understand it better. Trust me though, it sounds like Jeffrey, except there is no J or Y.

Orientation went over the basics for saftey in Moscow, more about the dorms I will be staying in, the course schedules, the cultural excursions, my Russian tutor, etc. I will detail these as I encounter each in Moscow.

After a group dinner several of us took a walking tour of downtown D.C., called on the White House, passed the Treasury and enjoyed a quite muggy evening. Below is a great shot of the Washington Monument I took around 8:30 p.m. (The Jefferson Memorial can be seen in the distance.)

The flight for Moscow departs from Dulles Wednesday at 4:50 p.m. EST. I'll arrive in Moscow at 10:55 a.m. Thursday. It is a ten-hour flight. I'll be 8 hours ahead of EST until July 28.

I'll post more from Moscow!

Пока (Bye)

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Washington in summer- and the Mall is so lovely- was the big guy around at the WH? Love the alphabet! Have a great flight, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half of the passengers are Russian teenagers returning from an exchange program in the states. A quick course in the Russian language could be in store during his flight! How convenient.

    ReplyDelete