Friday, July 2, 2010

First Week of Classes

It is Saturday morning I am relaxing after my first full week in Moscow. The past five days I have walked many miles throughout the city exploring it and have finished the first week of classes. I am enjoying my politics class and my economics class very much. It is very interesting learning about Russia's situation from Russian professors who have experienced the Soviet Union, the transition period, and the contemporary situation. The classes combined with my personal experiences are already giving me a revised outlook on this country.

I have also finished my first week of Russian language classes. This is by far the hardest course I am taking. I have also found it difficult to learn any language, and this - of course - is no exception. But, I am trying my hardest to learn as much as I can. I also have a Russian tutor, who is helping me. My tutor is exceptional, and I know I got lucky compared to my 11 colleagues. While most tutors are Russian college students who aspire to teach language or make a few bucks on the side, my tutor teaches German and English at Moscow State University. She spent 2 hours with me on Tuesday having me recite over and over again words that I just started learning the day before. It was very helpful, but also very humbling.

On Thursday, after four days of instruction, I became excited when I was hurrying through the Metro and discovered myself reading the Cyrillic signs as to the stations I needed to head toward. Thus, I can now see

Китай Пород

and know that it is the Kitay-Gorod station, which is the station that I go to when I head to the university. However, I'm still not quite sure what these Cyrillic words are advertising: 

I know the first letter of each word is a D, (the Delta symbol) but I'm still not sure of the rest. Maybe later I'll have some coffee and work on my translation.

I am currently writing / illustrating my experiences this week of the city in several themed postings. I am on sensory overload and don't know where to being or end, so as I finish them, I'll publish one at a time.

Yesterday I took a beautiful trip down the Moscow River, which winds through the city. (More on this in a future post. Prior to boarding, Коко-Кола was promoting its affiliation with the World Cup by giving away small cans of Coke in the area of a public fountain. Being a hot day, the free soda tasted great, and best of all, it was the coldest beverage I have been served since arriving in Russia. No drinks are served with ice, and most are a few degrees above room temperature.

Ahhh! The small joys of capitalism thriving in Moscow. I, along with all of my colleagues enjoyed a free Coke prior to touring the Moscow River on Friday, July 2. While soda is readily available, I haven't seen many Russians drinking it. Popular non-alcoholic drinks are Nestea, water, lemon-flavored water, and Quas, (Kvas) which is a drink made of rye and malt. It tastes like unfinished beer soaked in bread.  

Side Notes:

Lenin: I am getting ready to visit the Lenin Mausoleum at Red Square this morning. Since I was in high school I've always considered this display of Lenin's body as somewhat of a freak show / side show. And, I actually have mixed feelings about this because of how the Russian authorities "force" you to be respectful. While I'm excited to see his body as a mere curiosity, in a way I am lending credence to his botched attempt at controlling the world by shuffling past his remains. I will be lined up next to another person and allowed to walk (and keep walking) around his body, which lies on top of a sarcophagus in the mausoleum. I will not be allowed to wear a hat, bring a camera, talk, point, put my hands in my pockets, laugh, etc. I'll report on what I feel about this experience tomorrow.

Coffee: Since leaving DC I haven't had a cup of coffee. I've been OK with this. Russians like a lot of their coffee instant, which I find strange especially with the influx of Western coffee shops: Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks. (This may be changing if the marketers have their way.) All of sudden this morning I am having a coffee craving. Where I live is too far from a good coffee shop to purchase a cup for about two hours when I ride the Metro downtown. The shops across the street from my apartment only offer instant. I'll wait...Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment